URC History Society

Edward VI gives permission to John a Lasco to set up a congregation for European Protestants in London in 1550.  Thought to date from the 17th century, new evidence suggests that the painter was J V Haidt, and that the picture was commissioned for Lindsey House, London by Count Zinzendorf in the early 1750s.  The painting was bought by founder members of the Presbyterian Historical Society in 1913.

The society is open to anyone interested in the history of the denominations which came together in 1972 (the Presbyterian Church of England and the Congregational Church in England and Wales), in 1981 (the Re-formed Association of Churches of Christ in Great Britain) and in 2000 (the Congregational Union of Scotland).

The Society Journal is published twice a year – subscription details may be obtained from the Membership Secretary, Mrs Margaret Thompson, by email ( This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. ), or by writing to her at Westminster College, Madingley Road, Cambridge CB3 0AA.

In addition, members have the opportunity to meet each other at study days or at residential weekends.

Archive Microsite

There are five main archival collections kept here at Westminster College: the Presbyterian Church of England archive, the United Reformed Church History Society collection, the records of Westminster College, the records of Cheshunt College (including correspondence with the Countess of Huntingdon), and the Churches of Christ archive.

Open Archive microsite